Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Recipe: Veggie Protein Packed Rainbow Salad

Hi friends! It's been quite a while since I posted a recipe but it doesn't mean I haven't been cooking up a storm.  I just happened to think my dinner I made Monday night was so dang pretty I instagramed it and my peeps loved it and wanted the recipe...ok, maybe only one person did but that is enough for me to blog about it, this one is for you Megan ;).
Follow me @marathonlar on Instagram in case I make something else amazing :)

My neighbor actually made this salad last week and I went over for dinner and went home with leftovers and LOVED it.  She had it printed out on piece of paper originally from a coworker (original recipe origin unknown) and of course I took it and made some modifications to my taste and for what I had in my cupboard. 

It's vegetarian but still packed with protein from the garbanzo beans and quinoa but if you still need MEAT in order to make a meal I think it would be great with chicken or even a good sausage.  I should also note that the original recipe called for double the dressing that I actually made so if you like a more heavily dressed salad double up on the below ingredients in the dressing.  I thought it was just fine with half. 


Veggie Protein Packed Rainbow Salad

Serves: ALOT, ok maybe 6-8

Ingredients:

Dressing:
  • 1.5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
  • .5 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Salad:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1.5 cubed sweet potato
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-2 shredded carrots
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1/2 bunch of chopped kale
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • toasted pumpkin seeds (sunflower seeds or any nut would be good too!)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • feta cheese to garnish
Directions:
Dressing: wisk all that dressing stuff together!

Salad:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400
  2. Bring the quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil, reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
  3. Toss your taters in some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast those babies for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
  4. Mix up the cooled quinoa, taters, beans, pumpkin seeds, and veggies in a big bowl.
  5. Add the dressing.
  6. Garnish with feta and eat it up!

Pretty sure this will be my lunch and dinner for the next few days!  It reminds me that I really need to get in the habit of making something like this every Sunday to last me through the week.

Question: What big batch type foods do you make to get your through the week?

4 comments:

Leslie @ Triathlete Treats said...

This looks awesome!! I needed something for dinner tonight but I already have a kale salad. I might just make it tomorrow though!
I make a lot of kale salads, cook a bunch of sweet potatoes/tofu in advance, make a big batch of rice and beans. Just stuff that is easy to make on the weekend that can be for lunches/dinners during the week when it is crazy!!
I like the re-vamp of the blog!! Cute!!

Marathon Lar said...

Thanks lady, my blog was in desperate need of a mini face lift :). Hopefully it will encourage me to actually blog more :).

Anonymous said...

Real talk: I've made this twice now. Super good, and I love how much it makes!

Marathon Lar said...

OH yeah, so happy to hear you tried it and love it! I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing a big batch for Ragnar to keep me full between runs.