Friday, February 21, 2014

Recipe: World Famous Pepperoni Bread

Confession: I meant to post this before the Super Bowl so you could all enjoy it at your parties but yeah that didn't happen!  This recipe is one handed down through the generations (ok only two) from my grandma on my mom's side. I've been making it for over 10 years now and every single time I bring it to a party or gathering people just go absolutely crazy for it! I've had so many friends ask me for the recipe over and over again I figure I better post it so I can just send them a link next time.

The original recipe uses Rhoades frozen bread dough that you have to thaw and roll out (pain in the butt if you ask me), so I've simplified it a bit with pizza dough from the can!  This recipe is not healthy, it's not fancy, but I guarantee the loaf will be devoured in seconds if you bring it to a family or friend gathering…unless it's a vegan party…

Pepperoni Bread

2 loaves = ~20 slices depending on how thick you cut them

Ingredients for 2 loaves (you can always make just one but the pepperoni and cheese you buy makes two loaves perfectly and trust me, you'll want to have extra!)
  • 2 - Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough cans (you could really use any pizza dough you wanted, this dough just comes out of the can in the PERFECT shape already)
  • 1 - 2 cup package of shredded medium cheddar cheese
  • 1 - package of sliced up pepperoni (usually near the lunchables in the refrigerated section)
  • Shredded parmesan cheese for sprinkling
  • 2 eggs


Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 325

1. Chop up the whole package of pepperoni
2. Take two small mixing bowls and divide pepperoni evenly between them
3. Divide the package of shredded cheddar cheese into each pepperoni bowl
4. Add an egg to each bowl and mix to combine

Bowl of goodness - cheddar cheese, pepperoni, 1 egg

5. Take the dough out of the package and place on non-stick or floured surface. It should be just the right shape right out of the can but just make sure it is the same thickness everywhere and in a rectangle
6. Spread the contents of each bowl on the dough - leave about a half an inch around the border
7. Sprinkle with parmesan - I should add that about 50% of the time I forget to do this step and it is still delicious :)


8. Roll that baby up like a cinnamon roll.  Squeeze those ends together as you roll up and seal the end seam well
9. Place both rolls seam side down on a cookie sheet


10. Bake for 20-25 or under VERY golden brown on top - this will ensure it's cooked inside
11. Let cool for at least an hour before slicing into whatever size slices you want

note small "explosions" on the inside seams

I should warn you that some of the contents may explode out the bottom/sides sometimes. Don't worry, there is plenty more inside and then you have a snack. I've also had friends take the sliced up pepperoni bread (after being stored in the fridge) and re-heat it in the oven to give it a slightly more crunch taste.

I have no pictures of the slices because they get eaten THAT FAST.  Now I've had friends give me all sort of suggestions for other things to stuff in this bread or even that dipping it in marinara would be good and I simply tell them that I am a pepperoni bread purist and don't mess with the original recipe or way of eating it…you can do whatever you want though, just don't blame me if it doesn't turn out.

ENJOY!





No comments: