Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oatmeal Pumpkin Protein Bars

I really shouldn't claim these are protein bars since I didn't work up the nutritional stats to back that claim up but I threw in some protein powder so I'm calling them "protein bars".  It's been a while since I've posted a recipe but I want to get back into it now that my life isn't consumed by running...for now anyways :).

These are based off a recipe I found in the peas and thank you cookbook that I'm obsessed with.  Go buy it now...I have not made a recipe I didn't love from this book.  Basically I swapped pumpkin for the silken tofu and added protein powder and voila!   

Oatmeal Pumpkin Protein Bars

Serves: 16 bars

Ingredients:
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 dried cranberries
1 cup milk (I used coconut)
1/2 15oz can of pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (from oats to salt)
3. Add wet ingredients and mix
4. Fold in dried cranberries
5. Pour in greased 8x8 pan
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes (longer if you want a more crispy dry bar)

Dry ingredients
ENJOY!  I recommend topping them with nut butter of even cream cheese.  Makes the perfect between meal sweet snack!
Mama Pea claims her version has about 143 calories a piece with 5 grams of protein.  I imagine my calorie count is similar and that there is at least 7-9 grams of protein with the added protein powder.

Question: Do you have a go-to protein bar (made or bought) that you always grab on the go?  I'm also a HUGE fan of Luna bars, specifically chocolate peppermint stick!

No comments: