Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 3 - Marathon Training Recap

Like I stated in my Say It Do It last week I had no intentions of following the official training plan this week since I was running in the Ragnar Relay weekend Friday through Saturday.  I'm excited to jump back on the bandwagon though and keep up with scheduled runs.  There is something about crossing off a marathon training run that feels so rewarding!

So, what did I do last week?

Monday - REST - DID IT
No running or exercise of any form occurred today although I was still busy running errands after work

Tuesday - 4.5 miles easy to moderate - 4.0 miles easy
39:40 - 9:54 pace
4.0 miles felt like enough for the day plus I had evening plans and wanted to get my run done as quick as possible.  I ran with my trusty running pup, Stacey, and she expended so much energy trying to chase a couple squirrels we had to a slow down for a mile or so and take a pit stop at the lake to rehydrate.

Wednesday - Personal training session - DID IT
The sun came out in time for my 2nd personal training session with Sara.  She kicked my A$$ again and I actually had to stop for a couple minutes because I honestly felt like I might throw up...thanks Sara!

Thursday - REST - DID IT
The afternoon consisted of running errands for the Ragnar Relay all afternoon and carbo loading with Lindsey before the big race starts Friday at 8:15!

Friday - 6.5 miles at 9:30AM - Ragnar Relay Run #1
1:00:00 - 9:13 pace
Stay tuned for a race recap but this run was amazing!  I felt super strong the entire time and ran along Birch Bay which was beautiful.

Friday - 3.5 miles at 6:30PM - Ragnar Relay Run #2
30:00 - 8:34 pace
I have no idea who ran this leg because I don't run that fast.  I also have no idea how I had the energy after the 6.5 miler in the morning but the adrenaline rush from the whole event definitely played a part.

Saturday - 3.0 miles at 3:30AM - Ragnar Relay Run #3
26:00 - 8:39 pace
Thank god for downhills on your third run within 24 hours after NO sleep. It felt amazing to be done and I celebrated with a giant cinnamon roll from a great bakery on Whidbey Island.

Here are some photos to hold you over until the official race recap:
Van 1 before the race...only 190 miles to go!
And after running 3 legs with no sleep.
Our van...window paint is essential to relay success!
One major benefit of running an all night relay...seeing the sunrise on the water while a harbor seal plays in the foreground
Sunday - REST DAY - DID IT
Sleep sleep and more sleep and some laying by the pool on this gorgeous Seattle summer day!

Total Mileage: 17 miles
Total Strength Sessions: 1 personal training
Total Yoga: NONE...again I need to get on this and start stretching more!

Marathon Training Week 4 - Say It Do It - July 25-31
Monday - 4.0 miles easy
Tuesday - 6.0 mile tempo run - I'm not sure how I'm going to dissect this run but I would like to run at least 2 miles faster at probably a 9:00/mile pace.
Wednesday - Personal training strength session
Thursday - 5.0 miles easy to moderate
Friday - REST
Saturday - 7 mile long run
Sunday - Yoga

Hope you all had a great weekend and stay tuned for Ragnar Relay race recaps coming soon.

2 comments:

Leslee said...

What a fantastic week you had! You are amazing ~ I spoke with Linds and she gave me such a wonderful report of the weekend activities!! You girls are awesome!!!

Raquelita said...

I'm also training for the Chicago Marathon and have been looking for other runners/bloggers who are as well. I just came across your blog and wanted to say hello and good luck to you on your road to 26.2.